Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 1

This week efforts were divided among three fronts: preliminary research, qualitative testing, and instrument drafting.
My preliminary research focused on different models of dynamic driven heat engines, to get a general grasp on how and why certain changes would affect the system. This was followed by qualitative testing to determine what parameter changes were worthy of consideration. I discovered that by heating the apparatus up lightly, thereby increasing the internal pressure, I could increase the steady state frequency slightly, until it dipped at higher temperatures.
I also researched and tested three separate frequency measurement systems: stroboscope, laser tachometer, and video analysis. First, by shining a strobe light on the instrument until it appeared stationary, I was able to find one of the modes of its frequency. This will be confirmed by slowed down video analysis of the light mill's motion. Lastly, I'm attempting to build a laser tachometer to measure the time between passes at steady state using a laser pointer and a photogate.
Special thanks to Dr. Haar and Dr. Hoffman for their amazing help

No comments:

Post a Comment